Reciprocity Matters: Learning to Steward What God Has Given Me
There was a time in my life when I gave freely without much thought about whether that giving was being reciprocated. I showed up for people. I listened. I encouraged. I supported. I poured into friendships and relationships because that was simply who I was.
But over time, I began to notice a pattern.
I was often the one reaching out.
I was often the one checking in.
I was often the one giving, encouraging, helping, and investing.
While there is nothing wrong with being generous, I eventually realized that constantly pouring without being replenished comes at a cost.
Reciprocity matters.
Healthy relationships are not about keeping score. They are not transactional. They are built on mutual care, respect, and investment. Both people contribute. Both people make an effort. Both people value the relationship enough to nurture it.
When only one person is invested, the relationship becomes unbalanced.
For many years, I continued giving even when I received very little in return. Part of that came from my desire to love people well. Part of it came from habits I developed while living in survival mode. I often believed it was my responsibility to hold relationships together, even when the other person was not doing their part.
Today, I see things differently.
I am learning that being a good steward over what God has given me means being mindful of where my energy goes. My time is valuable. My peace is valuable. My gifts are valuable. My compassion is valuable.
These are all resources entrusted to me by God.
Stewardship is not just about finances. It is also about protecting and wisely investing our emotional, physical, mental, and spiritual resources.
Jesus often withdrew to rest and pray. He served people with love and compassion, yet He also maintained boundaries. He understood that even while fulfilling His purpose, He could not respond to every demand placed upon Him.
That lesson has become increasingly important in my own life.
I have learned that I can be loving without overextending myself.
I can be generous without depleting myself.
I can care deeply about people without carrying responsibilities that belong to them.
Most importantly, I am learning that not everyone can have access to every part of me. Access should be earned through trust, consistency, respect, and mutual investment.
When a friendship or relationship becomes one-sided, it is worth paying attention. Sometimes the healthiest response is not to give more. Sometimes the healthiest response is to step back and evaluate whether the relationship is truly mutual.
This is not about becoming hardened or keeping people at a distance.
It is about wisdom.
It is about recognizing that God did not call us to pour endlessly from an empty cup.
As I continue my healing journey, I am embracing a new understanding of love—one that includes healthy boundaries, mutual respect, and intentional stewardship.
Because reciprocity matters.
And being a good steward means honoring what God has entrusted to me, including my energy, my gifts, my time, and my heart.
Reflection Question:
Are there relationships in your life where you are doing all the giving? What might change if you began viewing your time, energy, and emotional investment as gifts that deserve wise stewardship?
I Matter Community | Holistic Wellness Matters

Comments
Post a Comment