Protect the Promise: Reasons Why Everything Doesn't Need to Be Announced

Image
There was a time when I believed sharing my excitement would multiply my joy. Whenever something good was on the horizon—a new opportunity, a fresh idea, a prayer I believed God was answering—I wanted to tell someone. Over time, I learned a valuable lesson. Not everyone celebrates your good news with a sincere heart. Some people are genuinely happy for you, while others may unintentionally introduce doubt, fear, criticism, or unnecessary opinions. Sometimes they don't mean any harm. Other times, their response reveals that they simply cannot see what God has shown you. I've learned that some things are meant to be protected before they are presented. There is wisdom in allowing a dream to mature before exposing it to the world. A seed isn't planted so it can be dug up every day to prove it's growing. It remains hidden beneath the soil until its roots are strong enough to break through the surface. In much the same way, God often develops His promises in private before r...

Survival Me Vs. Healing Me

 

Recently, I found myself reflecting on some of the names I've been called throughout my life.

Guarded. Standoffish. Quiet. Distant.

For years, I accepted those labels as personality traits. I assumed that was simply who I was.

But healing has a way of revealing things we couldn't see before.

As I've learned more about nervous system regulation, trauma, faith, emotional healing, and self-awareness, I've begun to wonder:

What if I wasn't being guarded because it was my personality?

What if I was surviving?

When survival mode becomes your normal, you don't always recognize it. You learn to stay alert. You learn to protect yourself. You learn to keep parts of yourself hidden because somewhere along the way, vulnerability didn't feel safe.

Over time, those protective behaviors can become so familiar that they begin to look like identity.

But they aren't always the same thing.

The truth is, many of us have spent years operating from protection rather than connection.

We wanted friendship but struggled to trust.

We desired love but feared being hurt.

We longed to be understood but hid the parts of ourselves that needed understanding most.

As I reflect on past friendships and relationships, I can see that many of them had limits—not because I didn't care, but because survival mode had limits.

There were walls I didn't know existed.

There were parts of me I didn't know how to share.

There was a level of safety I had never fully experienced.

Healing has caused me to ask a different question:

Who am I when I no longer have to survive?

Who am I when peace becomes familiar?

Who am I when I feel safe enough to be honest, present, creative, joyful, and connected?

I don't believe I was a fake version of myself.

I believe I was me under pressure.

I was carrying wounds, responsibilities, fears, and burdens that shaped how I interacted with the world.

And now, as healing continues, I am discovering parts of myself that were there all along.

The softer parts.

The hopeful parts.

The trusting parts.

The creative parts.

The parts that were waiting for safety.

If you've ever been called guarded, distant, or hard to know, I invite you to consider this:

Maybe those labels weren't the whole story.

Maybe you were doing the best you could with what your mind, body, and spirit believed was necessary to survive.

And maybe now, healing is giving you permission to discover who you are beyond survival.

Reflection Question:

If I no longer had to survive, how would I show up differently in my relationships, purpose, faith, and daily life?

– @imattercomm
Holistic Wellness Matters

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Protecting Your Inner Peace

Mental Health Matters For Men

New: Stay Grounded Bundle + Free Meditation Gift